Matheson is committed to being an environmentally responsible service provider and employer.
Our dedicated Environmental Sustainability committee leads the implementation of environmental sustainability initiatives across the firm, ensuring we achieve and continuously improve our sustainability objectives.
Matheson's commitment to our environmental sustainability objectives includes:
- Establishing science-based targets for reducing our scope 1, 2 and 3 emissions in line with the Low Carbon Pledge with Business in the Community Ireland.
- Transitioning to net zero by 2030.
- Continuing to offset our emissions through high-quality building management and energy conservation systems, waste prevention and minimisation procedures; paperless office solutions; recycling schemes; and employee initiatives such as the Bike to Work scheme.
- Tracking our carbon footprint of business activities by quantifying our energy and waste output and continually working on measures to reduce our carbon footprint. In 2022, we launched CarbonCal, our carbon footprint tracker app which allows employees to calculate their carbon footprint, find out achievable ways of cutting carbon and measure their carbon footprint reduction progress over time.
- Reviewing our travel policy to ensure that our air travel and taxi use is reduced over time.
Committed to sustainable business practices
We have already made progress in the area of energy consumption, waste management and our carbon footprint to demonstrate our commitment to being a sustainable business partner. Highlights of our results since we began tracking our impact are outlined below:
Sustainability Week 2023
To mark World Earth Day 2023, we were delighted to celebrate Matheson Sustainability Week from 17 to 21 April 2023. As part of the week, our Environmental Sustainability Committee organised a number of sustainability-related activities for colleagues across our offices, including:
- The CarbonCal Challenge – a competition based on our energy tracker app, CarbonCal.
- Sowing Seeds for Sustainability – our colleagues collected seed packs containing a biodiversity-boosting mix of seeds to plant at home to encourage pollinators such as birds, honey bees and butterflies.
- Charity Clothing Drive – our teams dropped their unwanted clothes at collection points in our offices, which were sorted and donated to Cork Penny Dinners and Enable Ireland.
Matheson was awarded the Best Energy Achievement in Financial & Professional Services at the Business Energy Achievement Awards 2023. The awards celebrate the energy achievements of businesses and organisations across all sectors in Ireland, have recognised Matheson for its exceptional contributions to the field. Partner Garret Farrelly received the Energy Leader Award, which recognises and honours outstanding leaders who have made a significant contribution to business energy and advancing sustainable practices.
Pictured: Garret Farrelly, Head of Matheson's ESG Advisory Group and Co-Chair of Matheson's Environmental Sustainability Committee.
Matheson was honoured to have been awarded the Net Zero Carbon Award at the Business & Finance ESG Awards 2023 for our innovative energy tracking app – CarbonCal. The award recognises Matheson’s commitment to place environmental sustainability and carbon neutrality at the forefront of our business through our environmental sustainability initiatives.
Pictured (L-R): Garret Farrelly, Head of Matheson's ESG Advisory Group and Co-Chair of Matheson's Environmental Sustainability Committee and Declan Barrett, Chief Commercial Officer of UrbanVolt.